Dry Ice Blasting Machine is a tool that has an extremely function: cleaning mold, the surface of machine from dust or rustic pieces. It can be used in different fields and work effectively than other methods for cleaning machine. Let’s find out more details about Dry Ice Blasting Machine of Specco2.
What is Dry Ice Blasting Machine ?
A dry ice blasting machine is a machine that uses dry ice as the blasting agent to remove contaminants from surfaces. If you want to get rid of unwanted coatings such as rust or paint from various surfaces, you can rely on a dry ice blaster. To put it simply, dry ice blasting machine involves compressed air and dry ice pellets to clean the surface.
It is a non-abrasive cleaning process. This cleaning method has been approved by FDA, USDA and EPA and has been effectively used for industrial and commercial cleaning purposes. Furthermore, the dry ice cleaning method doesn’t require disassembly and moving the equipment makes it a convenient process.
Applications of dry ice blasting machine
Dry ice blasting machine can not only be applied in industries that require gentle and precise cleaning but also widely used in fields that require strength and speed. Following are some of the main applications of a dry ice cleaning machine:
Using dry ice blasting machine to clean machinery in light industries
Food & Beverage Industry
In the food and beverage industry, the dry ice blasting technique is used to clean all types of equipment. Bakeries, candy manufacturing, coffee roasters, potato chip manufacturing, pudding manufacturing, dairy product manufacturing, ingredient manufacturing and many more are benefitting from dry ice cleaner machines. Because dry ice cleaning offers an effective, dry, sustainable and non-destructive cleaning method that can be performed in-place. Hard to reach corners and crevices are easily cleaned with dry ice blasting, resulting in an improved overall clean in your plant
Not only does dry ice cleaning remove contaminants, but it will also result in log reductions in bacteria counts and will remove biofilms without water or chemicals* – all while significantly reducing cleaning time, labor and overall costs.
With a dry ice machine from Cold Jet, cleaning and maintenance becomes easy and efficient with the following equipment in food and beverage field
- Bakery molds
- Drive chains
- Carts, fryers and racks
- Flour sifters
- Commercial waffle irons
- Extruders and dryers
- Drip pans
- Knife blades
- Wafer oven plates
- Packaging machines
- Proof boxes
Lint, glue and other buildup on production equipment is a common problem within the textile industry. With dry ice blasting, buildup can be removed quickly and without disassembly or damage to the equipment
Currently, large textile factories around the world are applying dry ice machines to clean the following equipment
- Coating Equipment
- Converting Machine
- Conveyor System
- Glue Applicator
- Looming Equipment
- Pins and Clips
- Tenter Machine
- Tenter Frame
- Tenter Chains
Clean mold cavities and vents are a major concern for plastic part manufacturers in maintaining today’s high quality standards. cleaning process with dry ice provides a non-abrasive and environmentally responsible method that allows molds and product to be cleaned in a fraction of the time, allowing increased cycles between preventive maintenance. In addition, molds can be cleaned hot and in-place, without water, chemicals or creation of secondary waste
Mold cleaning examples include:
- Plastic molds
- Core boxes
- Blow molds
- Injection molds
- Extrusion molds
- Compression molds
- Urethane molds and overspill
- Thermoform molds
- Plastic injection screw barrels
Using dry ice blasting machine to clean machinery in heavy industries
Aircraft & Aerospace
From cargo bays to landing gear systems, dry ice blasting machine has been playing a significant role in cleaning in the aircraft and aerospace industry.
The fact that dry ice blasting is a fast cleaning method and doesn’t ask you to disassemble equipment makes it an even more ideal cleaning option.
Even though dry ice blasting machines are powerful, they don’t damage delicate surfaces while doing the cleaning job.
- Carbon buildup: To clean engine exhausts, burnt carbon deposits and wheel wells, a dry ice blasting machine can be at your service. The fact that dry ice sublimates mean there isn’t any exposure to hazardous chemicals.
- Cargo bays: Dry ice blasting can help you with cleaning aircraft cargo bays quickly and efficiently as this cleaning method can reach all areas with ease. Grease, dirt and oil are simultaneously removed without damaging switches, electrical wires and motors.
- Radomes: Dry ice blasting efficiently cleans aircraft radomes. It removes paint and stencil marking without causing any damage to the surface.
The dry ice blasting method can efficiently increase productivity in the automotive industry by cleaning the equipment in no time and help automotive companies cut their mold buildup cleaning costs by as much as $50,000 per year
This cleaning method can reduce scrap rate, increase production time, preserve the integrity of fixtures, reduce labor costs and boost the morale of employees.
In the automotive industry, dry ice blasters can help with:
- Mold cleaning
- Windshield and body sealants
- Painting systems
- Tire manufacturing equipment
- Robotic welding equipment
- Rim assembly equipment
Electrical equipment & power plants
Dry ice precision cleaning is an effective method used to decontaminate semiconductor manufacturing equipment and electrical-related equipment. The environmentally responsible cleaning and surface preparation process is aggressive enough to quickly remove deposition and contamination without impacting the substrate material
- Electric motors: Dry ice blasting reduces labor costs and saves time by efficiently cleaning electrical motors. This cleaning technique saves time as it does the job quickly and there is no need to move the electrical motors from one place to another to clean them.
- Generators: CO2 cleaning machine cleans electrical generating equipment without damaging cables and insulation.
- Turbines: Dry ice blasting can be the perfect choice for turbines. Since it is a non-abrasive process, it’ll clean the deposits without distorting the blade.
- Cableways & trays: The CO2 cleaning technique is the fastest and most efficient way to clean cableways & trays.
- Power plants & substations: There is a lot of electrical power load during summer and that is why power plant operators would want the generators to work at the highest efficiency. CO2 cleaning machine allows power generation equipment to perform at the highest efficiency by cleaning electrical equipment in place and reducing downtime without damaging anything.
Using of Dry Ice Blasting Machine to clean in other fields
When it comes to cleaning oil, a dry ice cleaner machine is very effective. To ensure the safety of employees in the oil industry, equipment requires to be regularly cleaned, and a dry ice blaster is just the thing that can do the job with ease.
Whether it is acid, bitumen or chemicals, dry ice blasters can get rid of the slippery equipment from them. Dry ice blasting machines protects the equipment in the oil industry from corrosion and does the cleaning job while the machinery is running.
The dry ice blasters help printers by bettering print quality, minimizing scrap rates and extending the life of printing press parts. Without disassembling the press, you can clean ink, grease and paper pulp build-up through a CO2 cleaning machine.
Medical & Pharmaceutical Equipment
The dry ice cleaning method has proven to be an elite cleaning method for medical and pharmaceutical equipment.
The dry ice cleaning method maintains the tight tolerances of precision micro-molds.
The non-abrasive nature of the CO2 cleaning method makes sure numbers, microscopic letters and trademarks molded into products don’t get damaged by cleaning.
Advantages of dry ice blasting technique
There are some cleaning methods, such as sandblasting, that may leave an abrasive effect on the surface. Such cleaning methods can change the structure of equipment by removing the part of the surface.
Dry ice blasting is a gentle and non-abrasive process, which means it will clean surfaces without doing any damage to surface of equipment
The CO2 cleaning machine allows you to clean the equipment without having to disassemble and move it, meaning this cleaning method dramatically reduces the amount of downtime.
The following are the steps that are required in other cleaning methods, such as sandblasting, but not in the dry ice blasting method:
- Cooling down
- Moving the equipment
- Reheating time
To put it simply, dry ice blasting can reduce downtime from days to hours.
No Secondary Waste
One of the best things about the dry ice blasting cleaning method is that you won’t see any secondary waste as ice pellets sublime immediately after the impact on the surface
You only have to dispose of the contaminant that has been removed, and this can be done by sweeping or vacuuming the floor.
Safe Cleaning Method
In the industrial field, you won’t see a safer and environment-friendly cleaning method than dry ice blasting.
Dry ice blasting doesn’t expose the staff to silica, soda, sand and harmful chemicals. This cleaning technique doesn’t involve any hazardous chemicals.
Dry ice blasters can even rapidly clean inaccessible items, all thanks to the combination of a wide range of nozzles and supersonic speeds. The fact that you don’t even have to disassemble equipment makes dry ice blasting an even faster cleaning method than other cleaning methods.
Reduces the cost
By rapidly cleaning the equipment without disassembling it, dry ice blasting not only reduces downtime but also the cost. From that companies, factories can increase the production and make more profits
Specifications of dry ice blasting machine
Different dry ice blasting machines have different hopper sizes, dimensions, blast pressure, weight and so on. For example, take a look at the Aero2 PCS60 with these stats:
- Dimensions : 39 in (99 cm) x 19 in (48 cm) x 45 in (114 cm)
- Feed rate : Variable – up to 4 lb/min (1.8 kg/min)
- Weight : 269 lb (122 kg)
- Blast pressure: 20 – 145 psi (1.4 – 10 bar)
- Air consumption: 12 – 100 cfm (0.3 – 2.8 m3/min) at 80 psi (5.5 bar)
- Hopper size: 60 lb (27 kg)
Attention when using dry ice blasting machine
We offer on-site dry ice blasting training to our customers to help increase machine knowledge, learn safe operating techniques and discover how to maximize machine productivity. We also help with complex installations and ensure that operators are knowledgeable on how to properly run the Cold Jet system. Besides, there are some guidelines one must follow before operating them
Protective equipment is a topmost priority
Gloves, ear protection and eye protection are necessary before operating a dry ice blasting machine. If you are standing near the ice blasting machine but aren’t operating it, still, you are also required to wear protective gear.
Precautions to follow
- Inspect any damage on blast unit, nozzles, hose, cables and guns before and after blasting.
- Before starting the machine, check whether hoses are securely tightened or not and while using the ice blaster, do not kink the air hose.
- Do not exceed the recommended unit pressure levels.
- Do not aim the nozzle towards someone as ice pellets, CO2 gas and air leaves the nozzle at a very high speed, plus be aware that dry ice pellets can deflect from the object being cleaned.
- During the process, the hopper lid of the ice blaster should remain closed.
- Before removing the blast hose from the CO2 cleaning machine, turn the air source off.
- The air supply hose shouldn’t be disconnected before shutting off the air supply system.
- Static discharge of electricity may happen, and that is why you should make sure ground remains stable throughout the cleaning phase and the object that is being cleaned is adequately grounded.
- Before operating the machine, wear a breathable or dust mask as the CO2 cleaning machine sends dust into the air while cleaning.
- As we know that dry ice is solid CO2, it sublimes. If the area is well-ventilated, carbon dioxide will dissipate without causing any harm. However, if the area is not well-ventilated, there is a risk of suffocation. When working in poorly ventilated areas, do look at OSHA regulations.
How Dry Ice Blasting cost you ?
Usually, the amount of dry ice needed to clean effectively varies from application to application and also can vary dramatically with each dry ice blasting system. The average dry ice consumption for dry ice blasting equipment will range from approximately 0.7 lbs (0.32 kg) per minute for a MicroParticle system to 2 1/2 lbs (1.1 kg) per minute for a pellet system. Therefore, the price for dry ice may range from $0.3 to $1.00 dollars.
If you are looking for a dry ice blaster at suitable price, you can contact straight to Specco2 to receive the best offer of Cold Jet product in Vietnam
Dry ice blasting is the most optimal cleaning solution in industries. It’s a miraculous cleaning method that helps light and heavy industries to clean equipment with ease. Apart from being used in industries, dry ice blasters are also used in residential environments.
In this dry ice blasting article, we tried to explain some of the things regarding dry ice blasters. Hope it helps you!